Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Monday, May 14, 2007

"Live" Painting



Recently I have rediscovered the raw challenge and enjoyment of painting in the field. Packing up the paint, brushes and canvas board and going outside the studio. Nearly all my recent paintings I have been working only in the studio, focusing tremendously on creating photo realism style work that still allows room for creative interpretation. When working outside I feel totally different. There is the search for the spot, setting up and then the actual painting. Many visitors, snakes, bugs, birds and of course hikers. Until now I have been limited as to where I could paint outdoors because I simply don't have a portable easel and would have to find a picnic table or bench to paint on. I fixed that this weekend and purchased a very nice portable aluminum easel. I have yet to use it but look forward to it the first chance I get.

All these thoughts about this type of "Live" painting has me excited. I think if I can use this more spontaneous technique combined with my more photo realistic "Studio " technique I might find a perfect combination of style to call my own. In fact, I plan major website updates towards end of summer where I might split the Painting category into "Studio" and "Live". I think the two styles are different enough to have their own categories. I plan to do many of this style of painting, it seems to allow me to push my artistic limits and learn different techniques that can help in my more studied pieces. Because these paintings take about a day or so to create I hope to be able to sell them for about $200-$400 framed. Any thoughts on this?

No comments: