Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Sunday, March 01, 2009

New Hampshire Fox!


Red Fox in Hollis, NH Click image to enlarge


I had a great weekend exploring a tract of land owned by the Beaver Brook Association in Hollis, New Hampshire. I am excited for several reasons about this. The land is located a mere 8.5 miles from where I live, second, for a wildlife photographer like myself it seems to be teeming with life. I saw more deer and turkey in the first hour than I normally do in weeks around here. Another reason I have really been drawn to this land is how similar it is to my beloved Tarrywile Park where I started shooting. While the trees are not quite the same, the general layout of the land is. Its steep and thick, and has a lot of small open field areas as well, very similar to Tarrywile. On Saturday I hiked 6.95 miles from 10:30 am-almost 4pm. My legs were toast. I rarely found my self on trails, instead i explored the entire perimeter of the southern parcel. Today after trying unsuccessfully to paint for a few hours, I felt the need to be outside. I packed up and headed back over to Beaver Brook.



Catching a mouse, or vole? Click image to enlarge

Ill take this to go please. Click image to enlarge

About a mile from the parking area I spotted this Red Fox hunting for mice, and actually saw it get one, might have been a vole. He seemed healthy in actions but his fur seemed to have areas of missing hair, possible the onset of mange or a really bad fight. Got some fun shots most were blurry because i was so excited i could feel my hand shaking as I was trying to hold still.

Spring is upon us, one more big storm, tonight and I look forward to some sunny days, although I know i should probably not hold my breath. I have seen a bunch of ducks already starting to migrate through and will try to get some photos of them, Several pairs of Hooded Mergansers, and a new one for me, the Golden Eye. Photos coming soon.

No comments: