Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas

Greetings,
I wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy the snow if you got it and savor the time with the family, eat some good food, and drink some good beer! 
   I got out for a great hike today and discovered this very cool pine cone that had been blown across the snow by the wind, it left a amazing pattern. I realized the snow needs to be perfect for this to happen. Crusty layer below with a dry light powder on top.


click image to enlarge
Further into the hike I found a dark-eyed junco sitting on the ground . I took a few photos as it sat there. I was able to get unusually close. I looked at this bird for a while and wondered if it was hurt, I creeped closer and discovered indeed he/her was hurt. I picked the bird up in my hands and held it for a few minutes. The bird seemed 'with it' but seems like it may have been injured , perhaps by a hawk or owl. One eye was missing and he seemed hurt. I continued to try to make it warm in my cupped hands for maybe 10 minutes, then placed it on a branch off the ground away from predators and continued on my way.

click image to enlarge
A few hours later I returned passed the same spot, sure enough my little buddy was still there, but on the ground again, I tried to pick it up again but it actually flew to a branch. This was a major struggle, but was somewhat encouraged to see it able to even do that. As I turned to walk away i felt really sad, my heart sunk realizing the poor guy would have a slim chance of making it through the night. This reminded me how precious life really is. 

Take time enjoy life everyday, laugh, hike, take pictures and go outside. Try hard not to get to caught up with the hurried pace we live.
Merry Christmas

1 comment:

Tara said...

Poor birdie. At least you were able to meet up and give him some comfort & love in his last hours.

The design the pine cone made is so cool. Beauty is everywhere, if you know how to look.