Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winter Coyotes

I went for a photo drive with fellow photographer Kevin Klasman this weekend. Our only plan was to attempt to photograph my first Red Morph Screech Owl that had been reported in Essex, Mass. Images for that attempt to follow in Part#2 of this post.

Along the way from Hollis,  we made several stops including Great Meadows Wildlife
Refuge in Concord, MA. With calm winds and comfortable temps we slowly made our way out onto the dike dividing the marsh. Almost instantly we spotted a bedded coyote several hundred yards off.

Patiently we watched the 'yote only to realize he was going to relax in the warm sun  and most likely not offer an opportunity for any closer shots. We were divided by the marsh and could not get any closer ourselves. After poking around a little longer we decided to head back to my truck. On the way to the truck we saw this cute little mash wren playing in the reeds.

Marsh Wren
I looked to see if I could locate my coyote call, figuring this might bring the bedded dog out for a better look, it was not in my truck.

With the opportunity to photograph this healthy mature coyote in snow too alluring to abandon, we decided to hike along the old train tracks behind where we spotted the coyote to give it one last try.
Glad we did! Click images to enlarge.
Bedded Female Coyote
Big Male spotted me very quickly, I made a hoot sound to stop him for a photo
 This looks like a wolf to me
 happy couple

 Relaxing, waiting for nightfall to cause some trouble
 Downward Yote
And one of my favorites, these people skied right past this huge male with out even noticing. Just shows, you gotta pay attention!


-Bill

No comments: