Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Monday, May 07, 2012

Chestnut-Sided Warbler


Some birds get stuck with the silliest names, its almost as if someone was in a major time crunch to name all the birds in the world in one day and could only give each one a fraction of a second to think about an appropriate name. This is very true with the Chestnut-sided Warbler. Clearly it makes sense, the chestnut sides are very obvious, but what about a Masked Yellow Crowned warbler, or perhaps North Eastern Field Warbler. A name with some meaning or character. Ok, so these names are no better but I think I made my point.

 

I must not lose site that this is one of my favorite birds, a harbinger of spring, with a song that carries across vast fields. I see these little birds only a handful of times each spring and early summer, but never have I been able to get so close and capture so many clear photos of such a fast moving skittish bird. Hope you enjoy!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these photos, Bill; they are great. Best wishes for more success with other local lovelies, such as Ruby throated hummingbird, Indigo bunting, Meadowlark, and Scarlet tanager.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the song these little powerhouses share. Any idea who serenades from the woods mainly at dawn and dusk?