Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

A first for me, Chuckar


On my way out of the woods in Deerfield, NH yesterday I was very surprised when I crossed paths with a Chuckar. Native to southern Eurasia, the Chukar was introduced into the US from Pakistan to be a game bird. It lives in arid, rocky terrain across the western United States and southern Canada. The habitat around these parts is not quite what these birds require. I looked up places that stock chuckar for hunting and the closest one seems to be Alton NH, still a good distance away. More impressive is that this bird, an adult male has survived since at least last fall when it was probably released for hunting.
-Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely looking bird. DId you get to hear his call?

Anonymous said...

Just had to learn more about the Chukar partridge...
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chukar/id
Thank you for sharing, Bill!