Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Owl Nesting Box Construction

Tere Mills

Its almost nesting time, and I missed the window to do this project last winter. With the rainy and dreary weather I took advantage of the garage wood shop to make 3 owl nesting boxes this weekend. One is BIG and designed for larger barred owls, the other 2 are smaller and made for screech and saw whet owls. It was a little tough getting them high up in the tree but they are all hung now. I started with common white pine board, one 8' x 1' board will make one screech owl house

I added a small inside perch to help owlets get to the hole to look out. 

Although I was not thrilled about spending $7 on cedar shavings I think the comfort aspect will make this house very attractive to a owl about to nest. 





Screech owl box hung high in a hemlock near my back swamp

Barred owl Box hung as high as I could get it ( almost fell off ladder) just above our vernal pool

Screech owl box high over our garden. I have a feeling this one is a winner, it gets great sun and will keep the owls warm in the cold late winter days. 

Now we wait!
Let me know if you would like the plans I used, heck, I might even make you one if you are really interested!

Happy Sunday
-Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have made bird houses and are contemplating a bat house, but never even thought of owl boxes. How clever of you, Bill! PLEASE keep us posted on the progress. It took two years and three relocations for a successful bluebird clutch last spring. This gives us something else to build and to watch during the longer, winter months. Yipee!

Anonymous said...

Plans would be GREAT. Will follow up with you this week about that and about coming in to see our students again. :-)