Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

RUT







Its November 11th and in the northern area where I live and White Tailed Deer are in rut. Rut is a time of year when Bucks are very active and out seeking does for mating. The Rut is triggered by moon phases and peaks seven days after the second full moon of the autumnal equinox on September 21st. I enjoy this time of year very much, not only are the leaves bright yellow and red, but there is something about the crisp morning air that makes me smile. As soon as we set our clocks back I find lots more time to go out and take pictures before work and on the weekend.

This Sunday morning I headed into the woods about 730 am to look for animals and birds, basically just enjoy a beautiful fall day. After about 40 minutes of hiking off trail I noticed a doe crossing downwind of me and decided to sit down and watch her. Within 5 minutes a few more doe appeared, and as I suspected they were being followed but a large buck I know very well. In fact it is the same buck I am painting right now from pictures I took this summer.

After about 20 more minutes I was able to make my way almost unnoticed to a vantage point where I could capture the moment on my camera. Notice how the buck was following the does ever move. In a few images you can see the doe in the foreground or background being chased.
Hope you had a great weekend , check back this week to see an amazing find I had on Saturday.
Bill

No comments: