Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Monday, January 05, 2009

Painting again!

Hello and happy New Year....I made a New Years resolution to dedicate time every week to paint. I started this weekend, and basically had to blow the dust off my brushes that have been idle for almost 7 months. The painting....i wanted to do something that was not only appropriate for the time of year, but also something on the smaller side, and not to over whelming...like getting into the pool, nice and easy. I found a few pictures online to build the background and will be adding elements from photos I have taken to create this farm scene with a ring-neck pheasant in the foreground, I expect to finish it this week ( a quicky!) so check back soon to see my progress.
Bill


step 1. I like to sand and gesso my canvases at least 3 times before starting, then i begin by sketching the furthest elements with pencil or water color pencil




step 2 Although its mainly a white painting i mix raw umber, panes grey and white and yellow oxide to give the "white" subtle hue, this will help add lots of depth later on when i can use nearly pure white to make highlights. then i started to lightly fill in the elements furthest away with thin washes, using an old fan brush and a jagged piece of seasponge i have had forever.

setp 3. continue to develope many layers of washes, and adding indications of details, without attempting to draw every branch.

No comments: