Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A run-in with Fame.

Looking back at the past 33 years I can recall 3 specific times where I have run into someone of genuine fame. The first experience came when I was on a 7th grade field trip to NYC. After watching an amazing practice performance of the New York Philharmonic featuring Sarah Chang, our class headed over to FAO Schwartz where we bumped into Candace Cameron. In 1988, this was pretty amazing given her stellar performances as D.J. on Full House. Either way, it was pretty cool to meet someone I saw on TV, and even come away with an autograph! Still, kind of embarrassing to admit nowadays.

The second run-in with fame was 3 years ago in Morgantown, West Virginia at a hotel. I had been out there for our annual sales meeting when I worked as a designer for Cannondale Bicycle Corporation. There were rumors of a few famous musicians who were staying in the same hotel, a few of which belong to one of my favorite bands, Phish. Short story even shorter, I was getting ready to go to dinner in my hotel room when my roommate Ron came in and said "Dude, I think that guy from Phish is out in the hallway." I jumped up, ran to the door, whipped it open, and there he was: Trey Anastasio AND Mike Gorden from Phish. I was able to muster some conversation while trying to remain composed like it was no big deal. I mean, its JUST Trey. Since 1995, I have spent thousands of dollars and driven thousand of miles to see him play over 20 times. No big deal. And his room is right next to mine?! They were cool enough to leave an all access pass for the All Good Festival at the front desk.

Morgantown , WV


That leaves the latest, third run-in with fame. I remember when the video, You Were Meant For Me, came out on MTV. I had always had an appreciation for Jewel's music -- probably for the folk aspect that I enjoy so much in many other bands I listen to. Through this amazing thing, Facebook, I befriended her and surprisingly exchanged a few matter-of-fact emails. It’s pretty cool to be able to talk with her on a level that is the same as just talking to any of my friends, and to hear about her horses, music, and her 2,200 acre ranch in Texas. When talking about art, I shared my website and was excited to hear awesome feedback on some of my paintings. Wow, Jewel, winner of three Grammy Award nominations and sold over 20 million albums in the U.S. alone is checking out MY art! Craazy. Also a visual artist, we agreed to trade some drawings. I took on attempting to draw a photo portrait that she sent me. I don't draw a lot of faces so this was a challenge for sure, no pressure, its just Jewel. I started the drawing one night at home. I was about halfway done and took a quick break to eat. Upon returning to the drawing I somehow got some of my dinner on the piece of folded paper I put under my hand when I draw to avoid smudging. I tried to quickly wipe it off, but it was not going to come off. I needed to start over. Damn, it was coming along pretty good. So over the next few days I attempted it again with greater success. I sent it off to her Nashville studio looking forward to see what kind of sketch I was getting in the trade. Good on her word, her drawings showed up yesterday! A pretty neat story, a new friend, and some new art to hang on the wall!



Drawing one I received from Jewel! I really like this one, this is the sad one.


Drawing #2..this one is my favorite, full of hope and good energy.

Finished Portrait that I sent

The original one I started then got dinner on it.

8 comments:

GuinnessNH said...

Sweet dude. Great story.

Anonymous said...

the one you sent her was so much better than the one you spilled on- worked out great!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I agree with Jen, the one you sent was so much better. Hope you're doing well! P.S. Maybe I'm in TX! You should come visit Jewel and I! hehe

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is Vanessa...don't have a username...

amy.finn@comcast.net said...

Bill, its's been years! Happy to see a fellow artists beautiful work. Was glad to hear from you. Much fortune with your continued artistic endevors.....and the second drawing,MUCH better-thank your food.

Anonymous said...

Great story!!! SO JEALOUS!!

Anonymous said...

hey bill, its erinn, thats awesome!!!! beautiful drawing! the magic of the internet!

Unknown said...

Col stories bro. The jewel portrait turned out great!