Willam Kramer Studio - Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Snow!

Hello and happy New Year!! Hope every one had a safe Holiday season.

I had a great hike the other day and was able to enjoy the silence of walking in freshly fallen snow. Keeping wind direction in mind , I was able to get nice and close to these bedded deer.


A few days later I went on a hike in my old home town of Berlin, Connecticut a day after Christmas. I have found it to be much more difficult to get an image of a buck there, I think the population seems to be a little smaller than other places I go. I had some good luck and after about an hour of hiking I found a over grown field on some land that has recently been declared 'open space'. I had some luck and had this nice little 5 point 2.5 year old buck walk right up to me. I tucked in behind a tree and waited till he got very close befor taking the picture below. As i had figured, as soon as the shutter fell he became very cautios and fled within a minute. After bumping about 5 doe from bedding areas in the middle of the over grown orchard I discovered the remains of a buck. Upon further investigation I discovered a strange antler growing straight down below his eye on one side, and no antler at all on the other. My guess is that he sustained some sort of injury that eventually took his life when winter set in. All this was possible because of my new GPS . I will do an entery about it soon.


First Berlin Buck I have photographed!

Unusual antler.

No comments: